Mold isn’t just ugly; it’s dangerous. Wasatch Clean Air of Salt Lake City wants to make sure you’re living and working in sanitary, mold-free conditions.
Mold can only grow in areas that are dark and damp. Sunlight kills mold. That’s why you most frequently find it in basements, cellars, bathrooms and closets — places with low light, little ventilation and sources of dampness.
In commercial settings, mold can be found in even more places, since many commercial buildings have few — if any — windows.
While some mold is easily cleaned up or wiped away, like a bit of mold growth around your shower drain or sink faucet, some is more widespread. You may notice it growing on the walls, floors or ceilings of your home. It’s often black or brown, but it can be green, yellow, pink and white as well.
Sometimes you don’t even know the mold is there. It could be inside your walls or under your floorboards. The only signs you may notice are a musty odor and a lingering cough.
Mold can cause a whole host of unpleasant symptoms, including burning, watery, itchy eyes, wheezing, coughing, headaches, rashes and more. You may think it’s a cold or your allergies flaring up, but when symptoms last for weeks or months and all the doctor can do is give you another inhaler, it’s time to see if it’s mold.
When Salt Lake City residential or commercial clients call us here at Wasatch Clean Air, the first thing we do is test the surfaces and the air on the premises for the presence of mold. If the test results are positive, we begin the cleanup process.
We start by removing any items or building materials that are infested with mold and can’t be saved. This may include furniture, rugs, wallboard and other items.
Next, we clean what’s left with an oxygenated cleanser. Although chlorine bleach kills mold, we avoid using it because it can be an irritant to eyes, lungs and mucous membranes.
When we are done, your air will be clean and sanitary again. But you must take measures to prevent the mold from returning. Have any active leaks repaired. If your basement is damp, consider installing a humidifier. For bathrooms that repeatedly grow mold, a better ventilation system can help. In closets or the garage, try DampRid.
Remember, if the source of the mold is not found and corrected, the problem will recur.
If you have mold — or if you think you have mold — in your Salt Lake City home or office, call Wasatch Clean Air today. Your family — or your workers — depend on you to ensure that the air they breathe is clean and safe. We can help.